Preparing For Your Financial Future
Choosing to file for bankruptcy can be an intimidating process if you are unsure of the impact it will have on your life. Fortunately, I can help you learn about Chapter 7, Chapter 13 and other debt relief options when you consult with me during an initial bankruptcy consultation.
For more than 40 years, I have worked with individuals and families who struggled with unmanageable debt and other challenging financial issues. With offices in Cedar Rapids and Coralville, I am available to help my clients throughout eastern Iowa.
Learn About Your Bankruptcy Options
If you are considering filing bankruptcy in Cedar Rapids, Coralville, Iowa City or anywhere in eastern Iowa, I invite you to consult with me. I can help you:
- Identify your debt relief options and the benefits of each
- Understand the steps you should take to prepare for bankruptcy
What Not To Do Before Filing For Bankruptcy
- Know the actions you should avoid before filing for bankruptcy. Some examples of what to avoid include:
- Changing ownership of property
- Making balance transfers on credit cards
- Making charges on new or old credit cards
- Making payments of $600 or more on unsecured debts
- Many other actions that can be understood only after analysis of your particular situation and explanation
- Arrange your financial affairs to optimize your bankruptcy filing
Want To Try A Nonbankruptcy Workout?
Bankruptcy is not the best debt relief option for everyone. I can help you find affordable alternatives to bankruptcy when you consult with me. I will work with you to understand your financial situation and help you recognize other solutions for eliminating your debt.
If available, I will work with your creditors to determine if your debt can be reduced or restructured into a more manageable repayment plan.
In some situations, I can also refer you to a reputable, local nonprofit debt counseling and consolidation agency I have worked with for more than 25 years. If this agency accepts you for a debt consolidation plan, the creditors it works with will accept a plan worked out by you and the agency. If you are not accepted by them or the plan later becomes unmanageable, you can return to a bankruptcy solution.
Contact Rush M. Shortley, Attorney at Law, Today
If you want to learn more about your debt-relief options, please call me at 800-592-1969, or email me, to schedule a no-charge, risk-free, confidential initial consumer debt bankruptcy consultation. I have offices in Cedar Rapids and Coralville, Iowa. My office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and early evenings and Saturdays by special appointment.
Rush M. Shortley, Attorney at Law, is a debt relief agency. My firm helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.