Debt Relief Options And Bankruptcy Law
At Rush M. Shortley, Attorney at Law, I understand the financial burdens that my clients carry on their shoulders day after day, especially in our current struggling economy.
More Than 40 Years Of Experience With Bankruptcy
During the past 40 years, I have helped hundreds of individuals, families and small-business owners manage their out-of-control debt through different chapters of the bankruptcy code and nonbankruptcy solutions.
I explain your options and the bankruptcy process, so you can make meaningful decisions on how to proceed to obtain a “fresh start” and effective debt relief.
Helping You Overcome Your Debt Problems
With offices in Cedar Rapids and Coralville, I am available to help residents throughout eastern Iowa. As a bankruptcy attorney, you can expect me to listen to your concerns and address your questions regarding:
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy: Also called liquidation bankruptcy, Chapter 7 allows individuals to discharge many kinds of debt. If you are struggling with debt from credit cards, home mortgage payments, car loans and other consumer goods, Chapter 7 can give you a fresh start by discharging most kinds of debt.
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy: Also called reorganization bankruptcy, Chapter 13 allows you to restructure your debt and create a court-approved plan to pay all or part of your debts over three to five years from your disposable income after paying your living expenses, mortgage and auto loan payments.
- Prebankruptcy planning: Every form of bankruptcy requires at least some planning to make sure you receive the correct legal exemptions that will entitle you to keep the property you need for your fresh start. I will assist you to arrange your financial affairs to optimize your bankruptcy filing.
- Nonbankruptcy workouts: If filing for bankruptcy is not your best option, I will help you find alternatives. If available, I will work with your creditors to find a solution. In certain cases, I may refer clients to a local nonprofit debt counseling and consolidation agency I have been working with for 25 years.
- Chapter 12 bankruptcy: Similar to Chapter 13 bankruptcy, Chapter 12 bankruptcy is applicable only to farmers and fishermen. If more than 50% of your family’s income comes from farming, Chapter 12 bankruptcy allows you to reorganize your finances and get relief from your debt.
- Debtor/creditor law: If you are having problems with your credit card company or other creditors, I can represent you in your collections cases. If that is not available, filing a bankruptcy case will stop all creditors’ collection efforts in their tracks, including lawsuits.
Contact Rush M. Shortley, Attorney at Law, Today
If you want to learn more about your debt relief options from an experienced lawyer, please call me at 800-592-1969, or email me, to schedule a no-charge, risk-free, confidential initial bankruptcy consultation.
I have office locations in Cedar Rapids and Coralville, Iowa. My office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and early evenings and Saturdays by special appointment.
Rush M. Shortley, Attorney at Law, is a debt relief agency. My firm helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.